So last year sometime I began watching the television series Girls.
It was and is definitely one of those shows that you begin watching and nothing can stop you from clicking play to another episode.
I bought the season and sat down with one of my sisters -I'm pretty sure we got through the whole of the first season all in the one night.
The series follows the lives of four girls, in their mid-twenties who live in New-York.
The protagonist of the plot line is Hannah Horvath, seemingly normal on the outside and the complete opposite on the inside. She is what I would say addicted to sex, highly intelligent, extremely selfish as well as having a sense of humour that any intellectually driven person would die for.
I would describe it almost like a more current, vintage and humorous Sex and The City. Although I myself am not a Sex and The City fan, I can see the similarities. SatC is a show based around what women wish they had, and Girls resonates with what and how we really are. Each of the four characters in Girls, are relatable. For me this causes you to get addicted because you get to be able to see the humour and struggle that we have to go through in todays day and feel ok about it. It's like 'Hey, we all go through it, now laugh about it'.
I know -like a lot of us do in regards to SatC- my sister and I picked which character we thought we would most be like from Girls. In my opinion I'm a Jessa, but maybe that's more about what I actually wish I was as apposed to who I actually am.
According to Dunham, 'Hannah' is based a lot around herself, as well as her best friend in the show 'Marnie' is also based heavily around Dunham's actual best friend.
For me, the similarities that Dunham created to her own life only allowed the show to be fresh and empowering to women. It's like a breath of fresh air in the television world, it is diverse and individual.
If you are a prude or under the age of 16 I would definitely not recommend the show to you as it heavily features sex and even the occasional use of drugs.
But if you are anyone or anything else I would recommend it, enjoy the life in New York of the writer Hannah who will do anything to find a story, and that can includes doing drugs with her ex boyfriend, who is now gay or it can include pissing off a friend just to be able to write about it.
To sum it up, all I can say is my world without Hannah and without the TV show Girls would not be half as fulfilling as it is with it in my life. It's raw and real, and I really love that it is finally a show that features girls as the protagonists. I rate it 9.5/10.
If you haven't seen it, watch it.
If you have seen it, you're amazing.
If you think you should see it, you're right.
Drink tea, watch Girls and be Hannah.
Wednesdaykid.


No comments:
Post a Comment